Friday, May 21, 2010

Short Festival

Short movies are great when they are short, less than 10 minutes tops. Unless it is the most provocative material of all time, a short longer than 10 minutes drags on and people get murderous. I submitted two of my films to a open mic night of short films this past Wednesday at the Tower theater. First, thank you Tower for putting on this great event. Second, it was a lot of fun watching the films and being involved with the other filmmakers. Screening my film this way helped me to gauge the things that I need to fix with Love Hurts, before the SLCFF.

The biggest surprise of the night was my Zombie PSA, which surprisingly enough won the crowd over as there was much laughter. Before the festivities got started I was asking chad why in the hell did he let me submit the PSA, it was funny but not great. I was so nervous about the reception that it would get, but in all honesty it was the most engaging of the films. Indie filmmakers tend to put a lot of dramatic shots in their films, and use these techniques that in their minds will set them apart. What many of them do not understand is that the story and simplicity of the film is what makes it shine. If it is relatable to the audience and can connect with them through feelings or sensory devices, it will be a memorable experience. Too many times in these short films there are storylines that do not flow, or twists that don't upend the senses like quality films should.

With my film Love Hurts, i think that the story line is solid and unique enough that it stands apart from many of the other films. What I did not do with the filming of it is engage the emotional need for the audience to connect with the characters and the story. It was like who give a rat's ass, which in all honesty is not the reaction that I was going for. HAHA. Good. Good. I will reshoot the darn thing and have it ready for the SLCFF, and I would like do a screening with you buddies. I will win or at least place in the Festival. That is the goal that I have. I would like to thank my great actors for the marvelous job that they did and the patience that it takes to work with me. I love each of them, especially Joe and the Greek family that inhabits his back (hairiest guy that I know)

1 comment:

  1. I think your Zombie PSA is really good. There is something about old-timey looking videos that open up a lot of possibilities you can't get away with in realistic settings. I'm surprised you were surprised that people liked it, because I think that's a good piece of work.

    I agree with what you say about Love Hurts. My suggestions are worth nothing, but I would like to see more hinting/uneasiness leading into the killer other than Jaime thinking there are Trolls in the woods. But I think you are fairly close to getting it the way you want it.

    Also, I'd like to see a dragon in the film.

    ReplyDelete